Everything You Need To Know About The Coinbase Exchange Platform
- What Is Coinbase?
- Coinbase in a Nutshell
- Countries Supported by Coinbase
- Cryptocurrencies Supported
- Is Coinbase Wallet Safe? – It’s Perfect For Beginners!
- Security & Privacy
- How To Get Started
- Coinbase Pro
- Coinbase App Review
- Coinbase Customer Support
What Is Coinbase?
|Headquarters:||San Francisco, CA|
|Founders:||Brian Armstrong, Fred Ehrsam|
|Customer service:||+1 (888) 908-7930|
Despite all the hype surrounding it, Coinbase is easily one of the most popular exchanges in existence as it offers a colorful, easily navigable and secure user interface for investors to buy and sell top cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Litecoin (LTC), Ethereum Classic (ETC) and Bitcoin Cash (BCH). The platform gives you the power to purchase cryptocurrency with your credit card or bank account and have access to your own customizable cryptocurrency wallet. Moreover, Coinbase is backed by exceptionally high-security standards and covered by FDIC insurance, up to a maximum of $250,000 (if you are a United States resident).
Although Coinbase is a robust exchange platform backed by Venture Capitalists, it has its benefits and drawbacks. Overall, the company boasts a good reputation thanks to its trustworthiness and reliability, which serves millions of investors globally.
To help you learn all about Coinbase, in this review we are going to dig deeper into the exchange, looking at what it offers, security, its wallets, how to buy and sell cryptocurrency, security features, and everything in between.
Before making any purchase decision with an exchange always ensure to investigate the reputation of management, venture capital investors and regulatory approvals. Make sure to learn about each company’s values and core mission and to perform proper due diligence on review sites, message boards and with investment professionals.
Coinbase in a Nutshell
Founded in 2012, Coinbase is a cryptocurrency exchange that boasts more than 10 million customers. Based in San Francisco, California, led by CEO Brian Armstrong, Coinbase has grown in popularity expanding globally and accommodating 33 countries. With the assistance of venture capital from famous investors, the exchange has managed to dominate the cryptocurrency trading industry, taking the lead position in many regions.
Unlike other exchanges, Coinbase complies with laws and regulations by different regulatory and governing bodies globally, ensuring safety for its users. If you are a United States resident your Coinbase USD Wallet is covered by FDIC for up to $250,000.
Countries Supported by Coinbase
Is Coinbase supported in your country? As of September 16th, 2018, Coinbase is officially available in 33 countries:
- Australia, Singapore
- Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States
Most people see the simplicity of options as a good move, especially for beginners. Most new investors do not have the time to scroll through hundreds of altcoins, and would rather put their money on the most popular cryptocurrencies with high market capitalization. Coinbase is open to adding new cryptocurrencies to their portfolio, however, there is a long period of scrutiny before each one officially gets added to the app.
Is Coinbase Wallet Safe? – It’s Perfect For Beginners!
The Coinbase platform allows you to create numerous wallets, giving savvy investors an opportunity to organize the top cryptocurrencies hassle-free. You will find cryptocurrencies backed by the blockchain to be a valuable financial tool in your near and long-term future.
Is Coinbase safe? Well, the exchange allows even new users to purchase Bitcoin and other cryptos using their credit card, debit card or bank account and receive them instantly. Your assets are insured by FDIC for up to $250,000 per individual (see details).
Fiat Currency Support
Here is where Coinbase beats most of its competitors. Apart from accepting deposits on cryptocurrencies, the platform also supports fiat currency. You can deposit your money into the platform’s wallet and use it to buy cryptocurrencies. Alternatively, you can sell your cryptocurrencies in exchange for fiat currency.
Fiat currencies supported by the Coinbase cryptocurrency exchange include: USD ($), GBP (£), EUR (€), SGD, CAD
There are many ways you can buy Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin and other cryptocurrencies on Coinbase.
To make a purchase, you can choose any of the following options:
- Credit Card
- Debit Card
- Bank Transfer
If you want to sell your cryptocurrencies you can choose between:
- Bank Transfer
Coinbase fees range from 1.49% to 3.99%, which depends on the payment method you choose as well as your host country. Some people might argue that this is considerably low when compared to other exchanges out there. Others may scoff at the maximum that is charged on credit card.
To help you understand about Coinbase fees, let’s break down their charges:
- US-based Users – Users in the United States will be charged a $1.49% fee for purchases made using bank transfer. This transaction is, however, not instant. The trade settles anywhere from 5 to 7 days. If they use a credit card, they will occur a 3.99% fee, but the cryptocurrencies will be deposited in their accounts instantly.
- Europe-based Users – Customers based in Europe can purchase cryptocurrencies using SEPA bank transfers and get charged a 1.49% fee. However, unlike US bank transfers which take longer, those done with SEPA bank are typically settled within 1 – 3 business days. The charges applied for credited cards are still 3.99%.
- Sending Crypto User-User – If you send cryptocurrencies to another user (limit set at 0.001), you won’t get charged. Coinbase covers miner’s fees, whether you are sending the coins to another user on the same platform or any other wallet.
Citizens of United States may encounter these limits:
- $50 maximum for purchases via Credit Card
- $5,000 maximum for purchases via Bank Transfer
- $50,000 maximum sells using any payment method
Security & Privacy
The nature of cryptocurrency transactions calls for utmost security. You see, although each transaction is trackable on the blockchain network, the identity of the end user (outside Coinbase) remains anonymous. Coinbase understands this issue very well and doesn’t take it lightly. It goes ahead to put into place extreme security measures to ensure that customer funds remain protected.
Coinbase customers enjoy the backing of trusted financial investors and venture capital by prestigious institutions and banks, which means that it cannot compromise on security. To keep users’ cryptocurrency and funds safe, it utilizes four key tactics:
- 2FA Authentication – Coinbase employs 2FA authentication to ensure that no unauthorized persons can access an account. You can choose between Google or phone number authentication. With 2FA you will need to enter a randomly generated code before accessing your account.
- Multisig Vault – This option is also for the substantial investors who intend to keep their digital assets secure for a long time. They will also have direct control over their funds. It uses three keys: one stays encrypted with your password you are allowed to hold, another becomes shared, and the last one remains with Coinbase. If you want to initiate any transaction, your key and any of the remaining two can be used, and it will keep your vault safe.
- USD Wallet – If you want to keep your funds in dollars and not cryptocurrencies, you can do so on Coinbase. US-based users are allowed to use a USD wallet, which is insured by FDIC for up to $250,000.
- Coinbase Secure Vault – If you wish to store a vast number of cryptocurrencies you can use the secure Coinbase vault. Digital currencies stored using this means stay protected over multiple layers of security – just like it happens on the blockchain network – and all have to confirm your request before you can be allowed to withdraw. The entire process could take approximately 48 hours.
How To Get Started
In a bid to provide users with a safe and secure platform to trade cryptocurrency, Coinbase works closely with regulatory bodies and governments to comply with laws and regulations in the industry. It follows standard international financial practices, including KYC/AML and Anti Money Laundering. This regulation, therefore, means that all users on the platform do not operate anonymously.
To become a member of Coinbase, you are required to fill in your details, including name, phone number, email address, and additional items upon verification. Although Coinbase promises to keep all this information in safe hands, it can disclose it to regulatory and governing bodies if there is a security breach.
And there’s more. Considering that Coinbase retains your IP address and personal information, it can track your balance or transactions, confirming if or not you are not laundering money. Although this move has had a lot of criticism lately, the exchange argues that it’s crucial to keep the platform clean and away from nefarious characters.
Coinbase Pro, formerly known as GDAX, is a real-time cryptocurrency exchange for traders and currency exchange professionals. On the platform, one is able to perform buy and sell transactions with limit and stop orders. As opposed to simple market orders, Coinbase Pro gives investors the leverage they need to perform daily trading with accuracy and precision. Investors have the option of trading between 19 trading pairs including the following currencies: USD, EUR, GBP, BTC, LTC, BCH, ETH, ETC.
Personally, I love timing the market with Coinbase Pro and saving on fees when I buy or sell at the price I want. Coinbase seems to be innovating every year, and their latest software shows they are fully capable of releasing thoroughly-tested products for their users.
Coinbase App Review
If you want to buy or sell cryptocurrencies on Coinbase, you don’t have to log in to your account on your laptop or PC, no! If you are traveling or just laying on your bed at home, the exchange platform has a robust application that is supported on both Android and iOS devices. The fully featured Coinbase app allows you to enjoy the platform while on the go, from buying and selling cryptos to adding your preferred payment methods to verifying your contact details and identity. The app also comes in handy for keeping track of price movements with automatic notifications. This is the most popular method for people to access Coinbase.
Coinbase Customer Support
When it comes to customer support, Coinbase has been doing pretty well in the past few years. They respond promptly to emails with a wait time between 12 to 48 hours. Some emergency situations need 48 hours or more to fulfill; some people may receive automated responses. They have a full-fledged support page for frequently asked questions. Although the staff responds to queries, some users believe that the response time could be faster. There have also been complaints about an increased suspension of accounts, affiliate rewards abuse, and blockchain patents.
You can reach email/chat support here. Phone support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year:
There can be delays due to the high number of users that are signing up for the exchange or the number of tickets in the queue.
Although Coinbase has its share of challenges, many agree that it’s a great exchange where new and experienced users can purchase cryptocurrencies. The platform has invested a lot to ensure the funds of customers are safe. This gives individuals a chance to buy and sell cryptocurrencies without the worry of loss. You have several payment method options, including PayPal and Credit Card. This makes Coinbase an even more efficient app when compared to other cryptocurrency exchanges out there. We hope this comprehensive review of the Coinbase Exchange Platform has helped you locate a secure marketplace where you can trade cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
If you want to view more great exchanges for buying and selling bitcoin check out our full guide.